Recently, my sister-in-law, Wanda Johnson, asked me to attend a Hoe-Down at the elementary school where she teaches 5th grade. She wanted me to teach her 5th graders how to crochet. I agreed, since I love to crochet, and proceeded to the school on Monday (10-26-98).

I had planned for my husband, Tim, to watch my little girl while I did this, but he ended up having to work so I took her with me.

The following happened on the way to the school, on a 4-lane highway.

I was singing along with Barney and my little girl and it seemed no one was even close to us when all of a sudden I heard a very loud crashing sound. I began losing control of my truck (Toyota 4-Runner). I knew someone had hit me but I was trying to regain control of the truck. This blue car came around me (out of control) and turned directly toward me. All I could say was "Oh God" over and over. It scared me half to death. I thought my time had come. (I guess we've all heard that expression). I told everyone there that God had to have been driving my truck because there was no way I could have drove like that.

Anyway, the blue car was facing me all of a sudden and it was so close to me that I couldn't even see the bumper. I thought we were going to hit head on. To be honest, I don't remember seeing what happened to the car after that. When we both regained control and managed to stop our vehicles we were both in the right lane and it looked as if we were both attempting to pull to the side of the road. There was about 2 car lengths between us when we came to a stop.

Several people stopped to help out. Thank God there are still caring people left in this world! I asked the girl in the blue car what happened and she said she didn't know. She said that she started to pass me and lost control and had done a donut right in front of me. I told the her we had to call the police and asked if anyone had a cell phone. (I don't have one).

One person who stopped was the Guidance Counselor at the school where I was headed. (Isn't that strange?) She told my sister-in-law that I was in an accident and would be a little late.

One of the men that stopped for us looked at my truck and said he couldn't believe that was all the damage it did to my truck. Apparently, he saw the accident (being so torn up I didn't even think to ask him or any of the other people who stopped if they had seen what happened). There was a very light scratch on the paint just behind the driver's side rear wheel, a scuff mark on the black plastic piece that goes over the wheel and the tire and rim had been hit too.

The girl asked me why we had to call the police when the damage was so minimal. I told her I had previously worked for a lawyer and that's what you're supposed to do. Then she said we had better move our vehicles out of the road. I told her you aren't supposed to do that. We needed to leave them where they were and she did.

When a county policeman arrived we still had to wait. We were inside the city limits so a city police officer had to handle the accident. When he arrived he asked for my proof of insurance and drivers license. I thought... this is when that card won't be in the dash (have you ever forgotten to put yours in your vehicle?). It was there though but I had a hard time remembering which part of my purse I had put my drivers license. After about 3-4 minutes and sheer panic I finally found that also. Thank God!

Later, after talking to the policeman that wrote up the accident report, I found that the girl actually hit my tire and rim and the scratch on the paint came from her side mirror. He advised us to exchange names & phone numbers and for her to pay me for damages instead of filing the report with our insurance companies. We exchanged our information and I went on to teach the 5th graders to crochet.

On Wednesday, I took my truck to have the tires balanced and rotated (to make sure the rim wasn't warped or anything) and everything seemed fine except the tire that was hit was kind of low. It had been a little low the day before the accident though and my dad had put air in it. I asked the mechanic to check it. He found a nail in it (not the girl's fault) so I had to have the tire plugged.

Later that day I called the girl's mother (the owner of the car) and told her that my husband said not to worry about the charge for having the tires checked, we needed to do that eventually anyway. She was happy, needless to say, but offered to pay anyway. I told her not to worry about it and that I would call the policeman the next day and tell him not to file the report.(I did)


It was definitely a MIRACLE
that so little damage was done and nobody was injured in the accident.

I truly believe God was driving at the time of the accident and that
had it not been for Him the outcome would have been far worse than it was.

I pray that you recognize the miracles that God works in your life.
May God Bless You and Your Family!





Web Crochet 'N' More